This site has been archived and is no longer being updated. You can visit the new RCN website at www.rcn.org.uk
Emergency agenda items
Emergency items can be submitted at any time after the deadline for agenda items (30 November 2010) until the end of Congress (10-14 April 2011).
The Agenda Committee will consider each item and will decide whether or not to recommend that Congress accept it onto the agenda. The decision will be based on:
- if it is an issue that has developed since the submission deadline for agenda items (30 November 2010)
- if it is politically significant
- if it will create a good debate
- if there is another item already on the agenda in which the issue could be raised
- if there is significant space on the agenda
- if the item meets all the criteria for a Congress resolution or matter for discussion.
When the Agenda Committee has considered each item, the contact person will be informed of the outcome.
If your item is selected, you will need to propose the item at Congress 2011 in an informative and knowledgeable way. Additionally, if the item is a resolution you will need to ensure that a voting member from another submitting entity is able to second the resolution. Read our top tips for writing a strong submission.
How to complete the form
To help the Agenda Committee, please make sure:
- you complete all sections of the form
- you write in capitals and in black ink so that the form is readable and can be photocopied.
Please take extra care completing the "supporting information" section, as it helps the Agenda Committee consider your item. The supporting information must:
- explain what has happened since the closing date for submitting agenda items (30 November 2010) to make this issue an emergency item
- explain why the item is politically significant
- show what (if any) action is needed and by whom
- include factual background information (so the Agenda Committee can judge the item fairly, regardless of whether they have personal knowledge in the area).
Do not attach any additional information to the form – it will not be sent to the Agenda Committee.